Sunday, 7 March 2010

London Drinking Games

I don't know if people still play drinking games and, thinking about it, I'm not sure why they ever did in the first place. Isn't drinking fun enough in the first place? And once people start drinking they talk an endless amount of bollocks, so the idea of people being stuck for things to say in a pub and having to find some other way to pass the time seems a bit unlikely.


Anyway, regardless of whether people still play drinking games, or whether they should (and I admit I've hardly set up this piece very well with this introduction) I have developed a London drinking game that, with your kind indulgence, I shall share with you now.


The first is loosely based on the drinking game where you name a famous person, then the person next to you has to name a famous person whose first name starts with the same letter as the last name of the person you said. To add further excitement to this already enthralling game, saying the name of someone whose first and last name start with the same initial (like Marilyn Monroe, for example) causes the direction of the game to reverse, so if you are going from person to person clockwise around the table it changes to anticlockwise.


But my version of this involves people whose surname is an area of London. When your turn comes you must name one, and here are some examples:


Robert, Mitcham - Paul, Merton - Harry, Enfield - Eric, Clapton - John, Leyton - Ian, Holloway - Branscombe, Richmond (a bit of an obscure one, that, but some may remember him for his role as Bobby Sixkiller in the 1990s US TV drama Renegade) - Simone De Beauvoir Town


I suppose you can do fictional characters too, like, Nigel, Tufnell Park. Or, possibly stretching it a bit, David Brent Cross. Plus if you can come up with a person whose first and last names are areas of London (though Charlton Heston is the only one I can think of) then the direction of the game changes.


Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea; once yet get the hang of this game it provides many minutes of fun and then many hours of boredom. Possibly a more exciting drinking game can be developed from this idea, but I'm afraid I can't be bothered to think of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment